Skip to main content

Anthropology Day


Smiling, laughing, and the smell of pizza wafting in the air. A crowd of over 20 joined together in a small room to all celebrate a combined interest on Thursday, Feb. 21.

Anthropology Day.

“Did you all know this is the first time LBCC has ever had a club, or even participated in anthropology day,” said LBCC professor Lauren Visconti.

Anthropology Day is celebrated nationwide on Feb. 21. But this year, it had a whole new meaning to the staff and student body of LBCC. The school has never had as many anthropology majors as the present, and is welcoming a new club about anthropology, meeting for the first time on Monday, March 4, at 2 p.m. in room IA 232.

“Anthropology, that sounds cool. What the hell is it?” joked anthropology major Franklin Bowers.

To some students, it may have been a class, or two, taken over the terms. But to many celebrating the day at the meeting it is what they plan to spend their lives doing. The meeting brought in students who knew the ins and outs of anthropology and those who just heard about it and took an interest.

“I heard about it taking Lauren’s intro anthropology class and fell in love with it,” said anthropology major and anthropology club president Alice Yeager.

As name tags were passed around, they contained much more than just a name. Visconti wrote not only the first name of individuals, but also how their interests fit into anthropology. Everyone was welcome to participate and speak with those around them about their interests in anthropology.

“That’s what anthropology does, it pushes the limits and reframes what it is. There’s a home for everybody, for every interest in anthropology,” said Visconti.

Visconti grabbed a book and flipped through the pages: math, medical, and forensics. All subjects that can fit into anthropology.

“I knew I was interested in archaeology, and I just kind of found it. Please, I encourage you to talk to Lauren if interested in anthropology,” said Bowers.

Not everyone needs to be interested in anthropology to join the club, or even attend one meeting.

“You can come and just talk about what it means to be human,” said Visconti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colitis survivor Brody Johannesen

As he sat in his hospital bed, Brody Johannessen wondered, why me? What is wrong with me, what did I do to deserve this? Weeks later looking in the mirror he saw someone he didn’t recognize. Someone who didn’t know where to look next or how his life would change. 80, 90, 100 pounds up on the bar. Now the only goal is to push the next rep. LBCC sports science major Brody Johannessen was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis the summer before his senior year of high school. Not knowing if he would ever play the sport he loved again and how his life would change because of it. “It was soul crushing, because I found out right before I had Linfield camp and wasn’t sure I was going to be able to play football that year,” said Johannessen. Now, he smiles as he enters the gym, carrying a notebook with the day’s workout plan. The gym is where his time now belongs. When not hanging out with friends having a game night, brody goes to school full-time and works out regularly. “Lifting was a big part

Why was James Charles at the Met Gala?

Courtesy: Eonline Why was James Charles even at the Met Gala ? First, you might not know who James Charles is, I’ll explain. He’s a famous makeup artist who makes money and got his fame from social media and Youtube. He is in the new “famous people” category called influencers. These are basically people who promote things over social media in efforts to get others to follow along or buy a product. Next, you are probably wondering what the Met Gala is. This is a prestigious event in which all the A list celebrities attend for a fundraiser in honor of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York City. This year there was over $15 million raised. It is held by Vogue and supposed to be one of the hardest events to get in. There's a waiting list on top of a waiting list. So again, why was James Charles there? Surprisingly he got invited. He has some ins to being surrounded by the A list group of celebrities. He was the first male face of Covergirl. B

Week 10 Blog Post

My three goals on my first blog post were 1. I want to commit time to the Commuter. I really hope to get published in the Commuter many times this term and write great stories for them to have. 2. I would like to improve my story writing and how in-depth I work on the stories I write. 3. My interview process as well, I've done many interviews but there's always room for improvement especially with the questions and content I retrieve. My first goal really turned around. Not only did I write stories for the Commuter, I became a photo editor, and I'm really glad I did. I think throughout this term I did improve my writing. I wrote a variety of different feature stories I'd never done before. In the past I only wrote news reporting stories, then this term I got to write columns and reviews, which I'd never done before. On the last goal, I'd say I improved some, probably not as much as I would've liked.